
As befitting a seaport, Maryport had its full complement of public houses and inns which were clearly an important part of town life. In 1811, there were approximately 27 innkeepers recorded. By the mid-1800s, there were some forty public houses, inns and hotels listed. For example, there were seven on King Street and six on Senhouse Street. A similar number was recorded in Bulmer’s Directory of 1901, still with seven on King Street and six on Senhouse Street; of those, the Kings Arms and Sailor’s Return on King Street and the Golden Lion and Queens Head on Senhouse Street, were recorded in 1811 and 1901, providing some evidence for longevity in some of these establishments.
As to be expected many of them bore names applicable to a seafaring community – The Lifeboat, Hope and Anchor, Ship, Crown and Anchor, Sailors Return, Solway, Fishing Smack, Britannia, Rigger’s Arms, Sloop.


