
1882-1905

Mealpot Road

Cycling as a sport officially began in May 1868. While road racing became common within a few years in continental Europe, in England the deteriorated conditions of the roads made them unsuitable, and therefore the sport here focused on the track or time trials. In November 1882, the Solway Bicycle Club railed off a meadow near the bowling green with the intention of building a bicycle track. The track was constructed, and the first race was held on 2 June 1883. The Solway BC continued to run club and opens events throughout the 1880s. The Maryport track had a new lease of life when Maryport Wheelers Cycling Club was formed in 1892 and started holding bicycle races on the track. Their headquarters were in the Coffee Tavern on Senhouse Street.
In 1893 the Wheelers held club events, followed by a big open meeting on 8 July 1893 which was very well attended. The track was widened and levelled in 1894 and in 1897 a new grass track was laid, to reduce injuries from spills. Monthly club racing had around 20 riders in each event. The Wheelers were very strong as a club in the 1890's with well supported club racing on the track.
The cycle track was next door to the cricket and football pitches and there must have been some conflict between the sports. The West Cumberland Times of August 4th 1900 described a plan to harmonise the interests of the cricket and football clubs and the ‘old bicycle track' with a new sports facility including a new bicycle track. The plans resulted in the building of a new 4 laps to the mile cinder bicycle track. Maryport Wheelers ran the opening meeting of the track on June 22nd 1901 and the bicycle racing included the Cumberland and Westmorland regional championships at ¼, 1 and 25 miles.
The Maryport Football Club held a Grand Sports meeting at the Athletic Grounds on June 25th 1904. The cinder track was described as one of the safest and fastest in England. Cycling events included: 1 mile Novices, 1 lap and ½ mile Open and 1 mile Scratch races. On June 7th 1905 there was an open meeting but with ‘barely a thousand spectators'. The Wheelers held a club sports meeting on August 2nd 1905 which was probably the last bicycle racing on the track. Maryport Wheelers seemed to disband after this.
The track is now the site of Maryport Rugby League Club and Maryport bowling club.




