Maryport Brewery

c. 1780


67 Wood Street


Brewing was one of Maryport’s earliest industries, a brewery appearing on as 1750’s plan of the town. The Maryport Brewery was established in c. 1780 On the corner of Wood Street and what became Lower Church Street. With an ever-increasing migrant population, as Maryport’s industries continued to grow, flourish and prosper, so its brewery went from strength to strength, and the late 19th century the brewery had become so profitable it had a tied estate of over 60 pubs. Its continuing success also meant that it could afford to finance the construction in 1899 of the Victoria Hotel on the corner of Crosby Street and John Street, and the Royal Oak in John Street. This was followed a year later in 1900 with the construction of new offices opposite the brewery, which also included bottle storage facilities and stabling for the brewery dray horses.
As well as brewing its traditional draught ale, beer and stout the brewery also produced a fine range of bottled ales, beers and stouts including Crystal Ale, Imperial Stout and Nourishing Stout. Maryport Brewery was taken over by the State Management scheme in November 1916 and brewing ceased in November 1921.

Overlay Image