
1858-1971

Curzon Street

Maryport Cooperative Society opened its first shop on Senhouse Street in November 1858. The first shop manager was Thomas Noble, who was later succeeded by Thomas Cameron. It was not until 1860 that the Society paid its first dividend of one shilling in the pound to its 38 members at the time. In 1864 the Society opened a shop on the corner of Wood Street and over the following years expanded along the street. Unable to develop further, they built a new store on Curzon Street in 1881. By 1908 membership had reached 3,900.


