
Lived at Camp Hill and Park Hill the top of Camp Road

The Hine Brothers, Wilfred (1838-1921) and Alfred (1841-1902) founded their shipping company, the Holme Line in 1873 and operated from the Custom House Buildings on South Quay. Wilfred Hine had already been involved in the shipping business, operating and co-owing several ships in Liverpool. In its first five years, the company operated 16 ships. The Hine brothers tended to buy newer ships, as opposed to most ship owners in their port town of Maryport, who relied on older ships. The Holme Line ships ran trading routes to Australia, returning to Britain with wool. They also carried steel rails to Canada for the Canadian Pacific Railway coming back loaded with grain and timber products. By 1900 the company operated about 27 steamships. It was in this year that the company purchased its last ship, the Hazel Holme which was subsequently wrecked in the Bay of Biscay in 1911. The Holme Line was particularly unlucky with wrecks and lost nine ships during its time in business. One wreck, the Thomas Vaughan is now a popular dive site off the coast of Pembrokeshire. In the early twentieth century, Maryport experienced a severe decline in its shipping business. In 1913, shipbuilding ceased in the town and in 1914 the shipyards had closed. The Holme Line inevitably suffered during this time and was forced to finally terminate its business in 1913.
Not only did the brothers operate a successful business, but they also acquired extensive grounds at the top of the town on Camp Road where they built three majestic houses – Camp Hill, Park Hill and North Lodge (known retrospectively as Hine’s Mansions). The architect was Charles Eaglesfield, brother of Alfred Hine’s wife Mary.
In 1887 the Holme Line entered the liner trade when they began a regular service from Maryport to Montreal. The main cargo was steel rails but their steamers Ferne Holme, Thorn Holme and West Cumberland were all fitted with passenger accommodation. The first class fare was £16 return.
