
Kelsick Wood was a shipbuilder from Maryport. He kept an accounts ledger detailing many aspects of his work. The journal is filled with quotes for work on a variety of vessels, recording details of ships built and the purchase of materials, 1837-38. The journal also contains dozens of colourful illustrations, portraits, figureheads, coat of arms, animals and mythical creatures. Kelsick Wood is considered the greatest of the Maryport shipbuilders. He was a relative of William Wood (1725-1803) who opened the first major shipyard on Strand Street in Maryport in 1765. William Wood purchased a plot which was 53 yards in front and 40 yards to the rear. His first ship the brig Sally (106 ton) was launched in January 1765. Various other family members enrolled in the firm which continued until 1862 by which time the Woods had launched over 126 ships.
























































