The opening of the Senhouse Dock

27 May 1884



By the late 1870s, the Elizabeth Dock was proving inadequate to handle both the increasing coal trade and the larger ships using the port. In response, the construction of the Senhouse Dock began in 1880 and was opened in 1884. The estimated cost of the dock, including land, railways and appliances was nearly £100,000. Mrs Elizabeth Pocklington Senhouse (1804-1890); descendant of Humphrey Senhouse cut the first sod. Despite several setbacks due to bad weather and floods which destroyed the embankment, Senhouse Dock was officially opened on 27 May 1884. The day was declared a general holiday, and a commemorative medal was issued to mark the occasion. The Holme Line ship Alne Holme with Mrs Senhouse on aboard, ceremoniously entered the new dock breaking through a blue ribbon as she did so.

Overlay Image